Wednesday, April 16, 2008

14 April 2008

Shubho Poila Baisakh...On this auspicious occasion of the first day of the month of Baisakh let me wish you a very Bengali shubho noboborsho and a happy new year. The Tamils are going home for Bishu.Punjab is dancing to the tunes of the Bhangra while celebrating Baisakhi. India is looking forward to a new year. But Bengalis all over the world are looking for the next celebration...the twenty fifth of Baisakh on 8 May 2008...the birth anniversary of the nobel laureate Rabindranath Tagore.





2 comments:

Anubha said...

Noboborsho is a good time to begin our virtual acquaintance.Your diasporic renditions transported me to nostalgic moments of my childhood.I too remember a scorching,blistering courtyard,our 'Uthon'where we as children followed our dida to dry the mango cakes,and lebur achaar,scalding our tiny feet on hot concrete.Those lazy suummer afternoons when dida would insist that we had 'aampoda'and a mandatory afternoon snooze.
Never had any bengali friends while i was growing up in a punjabi milieu and hence effortlessly integrated punjabi words in my vocabulary,in fact my mother tongue became my second language.I call myself a fossilised bengali,having not only lost roots but also the visual markers that set you aside.nothing was done consciously,it was inevitable.
It will be great connecting with you on memories of a lost childhood,the flavours and texture of which became palpable when i read your blog.Happy Writing.Anubha

Brishti said...

good job